2008/06/26

The post you've all been waiting for

I'm currently at Yolanda Coffee, which is about a five minute walk from the CNU campus. I found out today that they offer "free" wireless internet, though it's not really free since you have to buy something from the relatively overpriced menu first. Anyway, the connection seems pretty fast and reliable, so I'm going to attempt to upload some of the photos I've taken so far.


A lovely way to start off: the pollution in Beijing is so bad that you can literally look at the sun (though you probably shouldn't). This is the sun as seen from the main entrance of our dormitory/classroom building.


My room when I first arrived. My side currently looks more or less the same as it did then, which is surprising, considering how cluttered my room at Yale was.


Some friends I met during the tour on the first day.


A transaction taking place in Hypermarket. That's right, it's not just a supermarket, it's Hypermarket.


A bicycle cart thingy outside the Thai restaurant I went to on the first weekend.


Yummyyy.


Yay for new friends!


My roommate, David. I'm pretty sure he's incapable of keeping a straight face on camera.


Awesome calligrapher in Gugong.


Another photo of Gugong.


Yet another photo of Gugong. I like the colors in this one.


Zhao Laoshi! The only male teacher for second year.


Roland, or as everyone here calls him, Ro Ro.


Mmm cheap, delicious jiaozi. You know you want some.


There he goes again.


Apparently KFC is a delicacy in China. We did not treat it as such, as you can see.

I'm about to run out of battery, so I'll upload more photos later. We're going to the Great Wall tomorrow and spending the night there, as long as the weather holds--pretty exciting stuff. But for now, I have to 好好(儿)学习 for my exam tomorrow. Until next time!

Edit
Back in my room, where the internet is spotty and the air is stale. Sigh.

So I was wondering why all my photos were the same size and looked underexposed/desaturated... Then I realized that I had uploaded the raw image files rather than the touched-up photos, which are in a different folder in my hard drive. (For any photography enthusiasts out there, I use Aperture v1.5.6.) Talk about 麻烦... Two hours of uploading--that is, two fewer hours of studying for my exam--and all I have to show for it are a bunch of washed out, 很难看 photos. Oh well. I hope you enjoy them anyway.

2 comments:

Tyler 世昌 세창 said...

Hahahaha bad pollution there...bad pollution here too. Aren't we picking excellent cities xP. Nah it's awesome--and very nice picture of the "sun" haha.

That's a pretty nice room--larger than most of the rooms here anyway...although I'm pretty happy with my 하숙집 :).

Hypermarket! They have "hypermarkets" in Spanish and French speaking countries too--they're the supermarkets that sell not just food but also clothing and stuff, like k-mart.

I miss jiaozi T_T!

Ahahaha KFC! You're Korean American so I'm sure you know, but fried chicken seems to be a hugeee thing here lol.

Yay pictures finally :D.

Devin said...

ro ro? and where was that picture taken? also, zhao laoshi has some crazy hair now! what happened!? make fun of him for me...man i miss bj and dsic