2008/08/20

Fadtastic

Greetings once again from Seoul, Korea, where the trends are plentiful and the conformity is high. I had an interesting experience today that I'd like to share with future Light Fellows coming to Korea for language study. I saw a girl in her teens on the subway wearing loose-fitting jeans and a black sweatshirt, with her unaltered hair in a simple ponytail. Like the rest of the passengers, I couldn't help but stare, the unspoken sentiment reflected in our gaping faces being, "What is this girl thinking, looking so unpresentable in public?" Only then did I realize how much just one week in this country had altered my mindset. To say that modern Korean society is extremely shallow would, of course, be a generalization--but it would also be fairly accurate. The younger women here, by and large, cannot be seen in public without high heels, the latest popular style of apparel, a name-brand handbag, and hair that has been dyed, highlighted, straightened, permed, or all of the above (try to figure that one out). The men are either in shiny suits, "hip-hop" wear, or tight-fitting clothes that wouldn't fit my younger sister. Oh, and they carry purses.

I generally don't like to talk about other people's appearances, since it's easy to start sounding judgmental and haughty, but a phenomenon this widespread is something that I can't pretend doesn't exist. Does it stem from a desire to appear rich and westernized? Is it self-perpetuating, despite having uncertain origins? Does it make a difference whether the brands they buy are fake or real? Most importantly, in long run, what sort of impact does it make on the progress of society? My good friend Jason Chu wrote a much more insightful post about all this on his own blog; what I have to offer to people coming to Korea for the first time, particularly Light Fellows, is this piece of advice: if you don't dress to match the very latest fashion fad, if you look like a foreigner, if you give off even the slightest air that you're not part of this society, then be prepared for awkward stares and whisperings behind your back. Trust me, I know.

On a happier note, I've finished all the shopping for souvenirs and gifts that I had originally planned to do, so I should have total freedom during the next two days to explore the city and
see the sights. I'm very excited to go back home; I've been away for almost three months now, which is the same length as the stretch of school from the beginning of fall semester to Thanksgiving break--that is, too long. If I experience any reverse cultural shock back in America, it's going to be a weird Korean/Chinese mixture. I guess I'll see how that goes.

And finally... Pictures! I haven't taken that many in Korea, but that's okay since the other Light Fellows here have done a fine job already. (Go Tyler!)

China


Bungee jumping at Ten Crosses. Credits to Cathy for this awesome photo.


Yum, scorpions!


王本星 with a bandage on his nose after Gustavo accidentally smacked him. I think it's a very becoming look, don't you?


Andy and Guo Laoshi. Andy's thoughts: "The program is already over! Let me free!"


For all the flak that Mu Laoshi gets, I thought she was actually a very awesome person.


Prizes. I haven't opened that electronic dictionary since the day I got it. Hrm.


Me with David and Victor, two of my best friends in Beijing. I'll miss their quirkiness, matched only by my own.


The other James Kim of DSICP, thinking about how much he plans to party back in Korea. Or just sleeping. It's hard to tell.


Aww. Yuan Laoshi and Bao Laoshi, two of my favorites.


We spent fifteen minutes just playing in front of this camera/TV. It was fantastic.


Sunny, once again unsuccessfully trying to hide from the inevitable.


Pretty fireworks #1.


Pretty fireworks #2 + random person with camcorder.


Pretty fireworks #3. It reminded me of popcorn.


After the fireworks, we were all exhausted. Fortunately, the subway was empty enough to rest on the seats like this.


More sleeping on the subway.


Carol, skillfully enjoying her 牛肉面-flavored ramen and watching women's handball at the same time.


Action shot!


A real fuwa and several... hunniebunnies?


The Bird's Nest. Where's the Olympic flame?

Korea


Tyler, eating Korean food like nobody's business.


A bowl of sundubu straight from heaven. No joke, quite possibly the best sundubu I've ever eaten in my life.


The obligatory patbingsu. Pretty, and delicious! Koreans sure know how to make desserts.


Tyler singing his heart out at karaoke.


"We love karaoke, yes we do!"


Jason came to hang out and sleep over in my hotel room, so we went to watch a movie. Here he is making friends with Wall-E.


There was a rose garden on the rooftop of the cinema building. Pretty flowers for the win.


The stuff on the petals is rain, which isn't quite as romantic as dew... Close, though.


Clearly explaining something very important.


Chillaxin' on the rocking bench thingy.


We got swept up into a huge protest against Lee Myung Bak afterwards. It was intense.


Breakdancers in front of a department store. They put my skills to shame.

That's it. See you back in America, probably!

1 comment:

jglc said...

"dyed, highlighted, straightened, permed, or all of the above"

check, check, check, check, and especially check.

ain't never really lived in Co Rea til you seen a blonde asian girl with level-straight bangs, a permed mop of side curls, and requisite streaks.... well maybe you can but can you call that living??

Good post; 木老师 is the bomb, she is way cooler (or just less strict... same effect?) after you've graduated from DISCP but still hang around 首师大 every Friday afternoon in the summer.....