2008/07/17

A Xi'an you can see!

It's only natural and appropriate that I find myself at Yolanda Coffee uploading photos on the day before an exam. (Note to future Light Fellows: I'm being sarcastic. You're actually supposed to study for exams... or so I've heard.) Anyway, here's my trip to Xi'an, from my camera's perspective.


Beijing west train station. Very crowded. Beware of pickpockets.


My 硬卧 (hard bed). I slept very well, so it was either softer than the name would suggest, or I was very tired. Or both.


Nuclear power plant? What?


Ancient city wall + beautiful skies = good times all around


One day, David shall grasp that lantern and be a light for the world. Until then, he'll just look silly.


I don't really know what's going on here, but I like it.


One of the younger tour guides explaining how the pagoda got its name. Hand motions were essential.


Oh yeah. Fake kung-fu poses for the win.


I took this photo at their request, but they still haven't asked me for a copy. Boo.


The pagoda itself. B&W-ified for added excitement.


View large. Quite possibly the most complicated character I've seen to date.


"Happy is the tender grass, when here your feet do not trespass."


I think David's emerging flower pose compliments the ancient buildings rather nicely.


Huge Muslim temple from the Silk Road era. Probably the most underrated place we visited in Xi'an.


Me again. Sorry.


Da Wang laoshi, Wang Sai laoshi, and the illustrious Ro Ro.


Can it be? Duck shaped jiaozi with duck meat inside? You better believe it!


Tang Dynasty theater show. These guys had serious skill.


Our main tour guide. He gave up speaking only Chinese to us after about five minutes.


I didn't realize so many of the Terra Cotta soldiers are missing heads. I wonder where they've gone.


"Mao Zedong: Man, Not God." They were actually selling this in the gift store.


If you look closely, you can see the outline of an ancient carriage wheel.


The quintessential tourist photo, but B&W-ified because of white balance issues.


Cave home. Can you find Mao?


According to my roommate, these are 小兵马俑 (little Terra Cotta soldiers), and they brought their discoverers 小有名 (little fame). I don't know about the latter claim, but I'm pretty sure these statues and the real Terra Cotta soldiers are from completely different dynasties.


Playing cards on the train ride back. Who's who?

Right then, back to studying Chinese. Just a heads up, my next entry will probably be Olympics-themed, considering how crazy the preparations around Beijing have become recently. 再见!

5 comments:

mengran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mengran said...

Haha you were at a cafe~~ I thought the internet at your dorm would be too slow to upload these photos.*adding a slow-moving sanil pic here* hehe

Pics are funny,and I love your "comments" of those photos. Cool!

PS: Good luck to your exam~~

jglc said...

ah man. We went to the exact same locations two years ago... looks like they have it planned out well haha

your hair looks dope

Anonymous said...

you look so korean in that b&w photo, my god. please stay in asia, do not come back to US.

Susie said...

"Happy is the tender grass, when here your feet do not trespass."

I love this :) seriously

and your b&w picture is very very nice. oh dude I just got back from Datong and I don't have that good of a guanxi with yingwo and sleeper train in general. So blog uploading is 其次,最重要的是睡觉!